20 August, 2007

My Summer Reading

This summer has been a great summer for me, reading-wise at least. I have re-read books to prepare for sequels, read a few random books I happened to have picked up, and read a few new books upon release.

Re-read:
In order to prepare for the final Harry Potter. I re-read Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince by J K Rowling. Once you know the ending of a book on the re-read it really does open your eyes to the subtle hints at a possible outcome. In preparation for Eclipse, I re-read New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. I truly love her books no one has such a detailed understanding of her characters actions as she does.To get ready for Seeing Redd, I re-read The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. His twisting of the classic tale of Alice in Wonderland is more creative than I could imagine. He took a simple story of a girl lost in a dreamland and turned it into an epic tale of fighting for all that is good.

Random Books:

I happened to have picked up two books at semi random this summer. The first book is Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner. This book is definitely not something that I thought I would like, but once I opened it I could not put it down, The characters are so perfectly described I felt like I knew them. The basic premise is that it is about 3 women and their husbands who are each expecting their first child, and 1 women and her husband dealing with their recent loss of their baby. This synopsis makes it sound like it would either be a boring book or a sad book, but neither is an accurate description. It is really fun with wonderful moments weaved throughout. The book is written from the perspective of each individual women, and each chapter is from a different perspective than the last. I was truly entertained throughout reading the whole book. The second book I picked up at random is Empire Falls by Richard Russo. I had seen the HBO two episode series on it, and found it compelling. I finally got around to reading the book this summer. Character development is a strong suit for this book. Most people I know would not like this book because it is definitely real. It is a depiction of life in a small town in Maine. It shows how the decisions we make ever day effect those around us, especially our families. The main character of Miles Roby is someone you cheer for throughout. It is a difficult book to describe. It is not my favorite book of all time, and it felt a little long, but overall it was a good read.

New Released Books:

I was looking forward to this summer because I knew of three books being released that I was planning on reading. The first book being Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. The final installment in the epic Harry Potter story. A simple review of this would say, I loved every minute of reading it. It was crafted beautifully. Everything fell into place and made sense. A truly great story. I could go on and on about this book, but I hate when people put spoilers up. I just have to say that a lot of known questions were answered, and numerous surprising twists occurred, I have never read a book so fast I began it at about 12:30 a.m. on a Saturday Morning and I finished it on Monday morning at 1:48 a.m.. I know that seems like a long time, but I did sleep, and I had a lot church stuff on that Sunday, plus we went to my grand-parents that afternoon. Anyways if you want to know if Harry dies in the book, READ IT. You have no idea how many non-Harry Potter fans want to know. I refuse to divulge out of respect for the author I have come to respect. By ruining the ending of a book you are taking away a great experience from a person. The next book I was anticipating this summer was Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer, the third book in her Twilight series. I thought that Deathly Hallows was the fasted I read a book, but Eclipse took the cake. I bought it at 9:00 a.m. on a Tuesday morning and finished it on Wednesday at 6:45 p.m.. To be fair Eclipse if only 629 pages while DH is 759. Anyways, Eclipse was a page turner. The drama/angst was amazingly strong during this book between normal girl Bella Swan, her soul mate, vampire Edward Cullen, and her best friend, werewolf Jacob Black. It is also hard to explain that this book series is unlike any vampire/werewolf book in the world. Meyer has created her own mythology for both. It is astounding. The romantic element is amazing strong, smart, and moral. I also love the underlying struggle for the vampire whose every movement around his love has to be controlled beyond comprehension. His desire to kill her is only prevented by his love for her. I cannot wait to see what is going to happen in the next book. The third book I was anticipating was Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor. I was thrilled that I found it on a shelf over 2 weeks before its release date, which is tomorrow. I really like what Beddor has done to continue his wonderland. The relationship between Alyss Heart and Dodge Anders is an actual relationship in this sequel as opposed to the original. There were a few twists in this book, but most I had figured to be true. I was pleased with this book. The characters had more depth in this one. The motivation no matter how flawed had backing to them. It is a little difficult to read compared to the other great books I love in that its descriptions of battles take a moment longer to picture because they are so visually detailed. Action, adventure, romance, fantasy, familial struggles and governmental decisions are believably depicted in this book.

Whoever said sequels were not good, could only be referring to movies not books.

I am currently continuing to read Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. As with any excellent classic book, taking my time to digest what is written is required. I truly love this book. I saw the British film version starring Billie Piper, and I found it to be a great story. I plan to read all her books. She is really becoming one of my all-time favorite authors. I recently saw the movie about her, Becoming Jane starring Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy. It was an excellent movie about her love story. Without ruining anything, I will say that it was moving, empowering, and tragically beautiful.





No comments: