19 June, 2007

Summer Shows

We have officially entered the television wasteland of Summer, but thankfully a few glimmers of hope for TV entertainment over the Summer have appeared. Of coarse if you need a laugh there is always Last Comic Standing on NBC, but last night I found a great new show, and today I found a marathon of an awesome show entering it's third season.


The Closer(Characters: Fritz Howard, Will Pope, Brenda Johnson, Corey Reynolds)

I do not know about you, but for me advertisements for shows tend to be filled with junk over hyping the buzz, and what not. This is what I thought about TNT's The Closer. They made it sound like it was this amazingly great, well acted, edge of your seat type of entertainment. So I thought. I happened to catch a marathon today at 11 a.m. that lasted through the day until the Season 3 premiere at 9 p.m. I watched almost the whole thing, with a few errands in between, but I was so shocked because everything I had heard from the commercials for the show were accurate. I seriously found my new favorite show for the Summer. Kyra Sedgwick is sheer brilliance as Deputy Police Chief Brenda Johnson who runs the Priority Homicide Division of the LAPD with an unorthodox style. Her ability to read people and obtain confessions helps her and her team solve the city's toughest, most sensitive cases. Her polite attitude, overwhelming southern charm, and her quirky humor makes it a show you cannot turn away from. I have now seen what everyone has been talking about. Be sure to check it out, Season 1 and 2 are available on DVD and Season 3 airs Monday Nights @ 9p.m..

Army Wives(Characters:Pamela, Roxy, Trevor, Claudia, Michael, Denise, Roland, and Joan)

I know what you are thinking. Another Lifetime show about women, same old, same old, but I was pleasantly surprised. A woman marries a solider and enters a different world of being an Army wife. She becomes a part of a this interesting group made up of 3 other Army wives and an Army husband. There is something about it that I cannot put into words that draws you in. The characters are really great and different. As I mentioned there is Roxy who is new to the hold world who relies on the others to fill her in on how to be. She is a mother of two, and she married her husband Private First Class Trevor LeBlanc four days after meeting him. Next there is Claudia who is the wife of a high ranking officer, Col. Michael Holden, and she is the strong leader for all the other wives. She is the one you turn to in a time of need. Then there is Denise whose husband, Major Frank Sherwood, is stationed in Iraq. She grew up as a Army kid, and she has a deep respect for all the things it holds dear. When her son takes on a violent streak, she learns self-defense to reclaim her home. Pamela is an ex-cop wife a Delta Force Officer, Chase Moran. She is the tough girl who can handle herself, and a gun. Finances seem to be her only vice. Roland is the lone Army husband amongst all these women. His wife Joan has returned from Afghanistan and exhibits signs of distress, especially noticed by her husband because he is a psychiatrist. Their marriage is strained by her struggle to adjust back to this life, and his struggle to find what his role is. What saves this show is the great group of well-defined characters, and the interesting happenings on the base. As well as how they come together to deal with each other problems as a new "Family" unified by their common situations. Sunday Night @ 10 p.m..

4 comments:

Tim Barker said...

Dan,

Good writing, you should try to see about doing some reviews for a larger audience. I do have to bag on Army wives though, it seems to be a shameless takeoff from CBS's successful (okay since it's CBS maybe successful may not be the right word) The Unit.

Have you seen the Unit, available online?

Dan said...

Tim,
I watched the first episode of the Unit when it came on, but it bored me to death. Why is it that whatever I do it is never good enough. I finally blog about something, but you want me to do it for a larger audience.

Dan said...

Hey Tim?
Have you heard of the show Big Love it is about a Mormon polygamist family set in Utah?

Tim Barker said...

Dan,

you did fine, I'm just saying your writing sounds good. I think I heard of "Big Love" but I've never seen it. What channel and what do you think of it?