03 September, 2007

The Time Traveler's Wife

I just finished the book on August 31, 2007, and I was blown away. I had heard about TTTW a while ago and in passing had seen it on the shelf, and after a summer of reading a bunch of new books this summer and older books, I decided to try this one.

I was overwhelmingly pleased with this book. As I started it, right away I new it would take some thinking with the whole chapter division the way it is, and the time lines. I had never really thought about chapter division that much until this summer because I have seen very interesting techniques. I think TTTW has the most original I have seen. I really enjoyed the dates on the chapters and character ages as well. I found myself anticipating what was next, wondering where this book would take me, and after certain events, will we return to see the other perspective.

In general, I think this novel could not be crafted more beautifully. I think this is the best depiction of devotion and love that I have read in a while.

I really liked how deep Clare and Henry were, as characters. I liked who they were. I liked how they looked at the world in general, i.e. music, books, and art. I found the supporting characters great as well. Nell and Kimy won me over in every chapter they were in. I really felt Sharon's frustration at Christmas. At times I felt bad for Charisse, but I thought she had a cool, rebellious, anarchist personality. I think Gomez surprised me the most. I was not sure what to make of him at the beginning. I was not even sure how much we would learn about him or if I would like him. It turned out he was very easy to relate to.

Clare and Henry are great. I do not even know how to put it into words, but I will try. I found myself feeling their pain and struggles, their joy and celebration, and their angst and frustration. I got really attached to them, which is odd for me. While I was reading, I was trying to figure out things. What choices they would make. Where Henry would end up next. How things would work out in the end. I was often wrong. I actually think I was only right on one account.

I have to mention my breath was literally taken from me at least twice in the book. Two words to describe those scenes. Hospital & New Years.

I do not think I have even covered all my thoughts on this wonderful book, but I will leave you with this.

I view TTTW as a puzzle, and once all the pieces are fit together in the end, I saw a beautiful portrait of two people. One who wants to stay, and one who cannot leave.

3 comments:

Katie Barker said...

Hey Danny,
thanks for the review. With all the non-fiction reading that I've been doing this year, I'm intreagued by this book. Do you think I would like it?

Tim Barker said...

Sweet review. It makes me consider reading it. I think your in depth review of the chapter divisions and the character development make the review very helpful. You should submit it on Amazon's website :) It would be helpful if the back ground or the text font were easier to read though. What's the next book? Or has school started?

Dan said...

Thanks to both of you.

Katie, it is a great book. Fair warning though the morals of the main characters are not at all Christian, and this results in poor life choices at time, but overall the powerful story in the book far outweighs the flaws.

Tim, I did post it on Amazon. I hope that my new background allows for better visibility, I change the background of ever site I am on almost every time I am on. I am currently reading The Invisible Man-H.G. Wells, Mansfield Park-Jane Austen, and My Search for the Golden Key-Craig Massey, that I borrowed form you. I have had recommendations to read The Historian-Elizabeth Kostova and I am interested in reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Not to mention rereading parts of TTTW. I am in my last week of my summer marketing class, and then I have a week off, AWANA starts, and I am suppose to paint Jamie's kitchen during that week. I refuse to let school inhibit my reading but rather delay the completion of desired readings.